How does a sump pump empty?
Set the float on a submersible pump
The submersible pump must switch off before the pumped medium is emptied
Submersible pumps (€ 29.50 at Amazon *) are, as the name suggests, pumps that are immersed in the medium to be conveyed. However, it is not desirable for the pump to run continuously. In particular, it must be ensured that a submersible pump only pumps until a sufficiently high level ensures that the pump cannot run dry.
Switching on and off manually is not recommended
You can now switch the pump on and off manually, but this could have fatal consequences if you forget the pump - both when switching it on and off. Therefore float switches are used that switch the submersible pump depending on the liquid level. There are different systems here:
- a float pushing a rod up or down a pipe
- a float with a magnet that triggers a Hall sensor or reed contact
- A float with a ball that actuates a switch depending on its position
- Level switch
The float at a submersible pump
In the case of the submersible pump, the principle most commonly used is a ball that actuates a lever. Depending on the inclination of the encapsulated housing, the ball actuates or releases a lever attached to the side with the switch at the other end. The ball runs back and forth on a predetermined path.
The second part is a weight that sits on the power line of the switch cord. By moving the cable length to the float switch is shortened or lengthened. The cable hangs here in the container, for example a pump sump or a pump shaft.
How the float works for a submersible pump
The feeding cable is held at a certain depth in the fluid due to the sliding weight. The encapsulated float switch hangs down in the container. If the level now rises, the float lies flat in the fluid until the set cable length is reached.
The elongated capsule, which lies horizontally in the water like a boat, is now forced to stand vertically upwards as the water level continues to rise, because it is attached to the cable, which no longer gives way. The air in the housing is buoyant, however, so that the elongated capsule has to stand upright. The ball now rolls down and activates the switch.
Adjusting the float of a submersible pump
You can therefore set the float switch using two settings:
- how far the cable extends into the pump sump before the weight comes
- based on the cable length between the weight and the float capsule
In this way you can determine exactly the height at which the float should switch on the pump.
* Affiliate link to AmazonHome »Build» Water »Pump
- Have you ever had an operation
- Who was Edwin Howard Armstrong
- How are you going to treat who you love
- Stress management is your main concern
- How long does a GTX 1060 last
- Why do you always think of someone
- How can I buy a Pinterest account
- What are insurance companies
- What are people doing in Las Vegas
- What is the meaning of elements
- Why do twins think the same thing
- How do I fully master Unity 3D
- Where can I buy Morphe Eyeshadow Palette
- What is private internet access
- What are the best practices in Golang
- How can I send gifts to Japan
- Why are certain colors used in logos
- What does rep hockey
- What is the missing premise
- What is Godrej Azure
- What is a spiritual gift from a prayer maker
- What is CHSL
- How do I watch Apple TV
- A free falling clock slows down