What is a chain block used for?
Bicycle gear ratio: How important is the speed ratio when riding a bicycle?
Bicycle transmission: the gear shift makes the difference.
Regarding the bicycle translation, the Circuit essential: Without a gear shift, there is only one fixed gear ratio. With a bicycle with a gearshift, you can directly influence the gear ratio of your bicycle because a derailleur bike can have 1 - 3 chainrings at the front and 1 - 12 sprockets at the rear. By switching to chainrings and sprockets of different sizes, you can adapt the amount of effort required to your physical condition and the geographical conditions: when you start off, when it does going uphill or strong headwind prevails, it is advisable to select a gear that requires several revolutions of the pedals for one wheel revolution. With such an "easy" gear, you choose the smallest sprocket (few teeth) on the chainring and the largest sprocket (many teeth) on the rear wheel. At flat stretches or downhill is a "difficult" walk makes sense. Here you choose the largest sprocket on the crank and the smallest on the rear wheel - the wheel rotates several times with one turn of the crank.
The most widespread are the circuit types Derailleur and hub gearsthat have a different number of gears and therefore also differ in terms of the bike ratio. The hub gear, which we will talk about in the article What is a hub gearinform, usually offers fewer gears and has a correspondingly smaller translation range. For this reason - and also because of its relatively high weight - the Gear hub often for utility bikes and city bikes used.
The Derailleur is preferably used for bikes where Cross-country mobility, speed and thus also the bike translation play an important role, for example on racing bikes, mountain bikes, trekking bikes and gravel bikes.
Which bike gear ratio you choose, by the way, not only has a big influence on the force you have to exert when pedaling, but also on the path your bike takes with one pedal turn.
The length of the distance that a bicycle covers with one turn of the crank is called "unfolding".
Bicycle translation and deployment: how are they calculated?
To calculate the gear ratio of your bike, you need the number of teeth on your bike's sprockets. So that you don't have to laboriously count these, just take a look at the manufacturer's information. Number combinations like 48 | 36 | 26 for the chainring may seem cryptic at first glance, but they simply provide information about the number of teeth on the chainring. At three numbers (e.g. 48 | 36 | 26) are next to each other on the axis three chainrings, the largest has 48 teeth, the middle 36 teeth and the smallest 26 teeth. Both Pinions on the rear wheel - also called "cassette" - are only the Number of teeth of the smallest and the largest ring gear specified, for example 11 | 32.
Calculating the translation is actually quite simple: i = z1 / z2: i denotes the gear ratio, z1 the number of teeth on the chainring and z2 the number of teeth on the pinion.
You divide the number of teeth on the chainring by the number of teeth on the rear sprocket. The maximum gear ratio, which requires the greatest pedaling power (largest chainring, smallest sprocket) would result in the values chosen above 48/11 = 4.36. In other words, if the chainring makes 1 turn, the sprocket will turn 4.36. The minimum translation, which for the lowest pedaling force stands (smallest chainring, largest sprocket) would be 0.81.
But why do you need this value that the translation expresses? In principle only if you want to calculate the expansion. To do this, multiply the calculated ratio by the wheel circumference (in centimeters). Assuming a wheel circumference of 200 cm, the calculation would look like this with the maximum gear ratio: 4.36 x 200 cm = 872 cm. The distance covered with one turn of the crank is therefore 8.72 meters. At minimal translation cheat the distance traveled 1.62 meters: 0.81 x 200 cm = 162 cm.
As we already know, the gear ratio - and of course the development - changes with the choice of gear and is therefore dependent on the gradation in which you drive. A very convenient way to determine the respective values is a Translation calculatorfor the bike.
Changing the bike ratio - can you do it yourself?
If you have the impression that you cannot maintain an optimal, steady cadence with your bike despite conscientious shifting, or that you are missing a lighter or heavier gear to be able to ride more comfortably or sportily, you do not have to change your bike right away. First of all, you should make sure that your gears are set correctly how to do this, the article tells you how Adjust gear shift.
If this does not solve the problem, it is of course possible to take the modification of the bicycle translation into your own hands and roll up your sleeves - provided you have a certain basic technical understanding and desire to screw things up. You should pay particular attention to a few points:
- Is your two-wheeler with one Hub gear provided, you cannot change anything on the cassette itself, as it is a closed switching unit or, strictly speaking, there is no cassette, but a gearbox that takes over the switching function in the hub. However, it is possible to a limited extent to change the bicycle ratio by installing a new chainring or a new sprocket that has more or fewer teeth, depending on whether you want to achieve more or less pedaling resistance. Before doing this, pay attention to the Manufacturer informationwhich chainrings may be used to prevent the gear shifting from being subjected to excessive forces.
- With a bike Derailleur you can change the gear ratio both by replacing the chainring and by changing the cassette and your bike with it either more off-road make or make sure that you are on flat stretches gain momentum can. But don't lose that in the process Cost-benefit factor Out of sight: Depending on the quality, new chainrings and cassettes are not cheap, and you may also need special tools to replace them and have to purchase them as well. In addition, it is possible that when the bicycle transmission is modified due to the changed drive, a new bicycle chain and a different derailleur will be required.
When in doubt, let your Bicycle specialists in order to be able to decide whether it is generally worthwhile to change the gear ratio of your bike and whether you dare to carry out this upgrade yourself.
Bicycle translation: crucial for smooth riding
Which bike translation is right for you, depends largely on the terrain, from her personal constitution and your Driving style from. This point is particularly important if you are thinking of getting a new bike: A trekking bike with derailleur, for example, usually has significantly more gears and gear ratios than a city bike with hub gears. The trekking bike is therefore suitable for roads, mountains and easy terrain, the city bike is primarily designed for town and plains. Get comprehensive advice here too - yours is sure to be yours Bicycle dealer will be happy to help you choose a bike that offers the optimal bike ratio for you.
Finally, we would like to offer you our Gear ratio bike table still a rough comparison possibility with regard to the gear ratios of various types of bicycles with derailleur gears, whereby we have taken a common configuration of chainring and sprocket into account. The gear ratios for hub gears can be found in the respective manufacturer's information.
- Is it an achievement to have a girlfriend?
- Why do we do Satyanarayan Katha
- Contain hair and nail memories
- Why are people looking for change
- How are electromagnetic waves a carrier of energy?
- Vatican City What is the Curia
- Can bupropion reduce the neurotoxicity of amphetamines
- Can an ex-boyfriend really change?
- The city council is seen as a gazetted official
- How does the internet archiving work
- How many words is my essay
- What happened to innovation at Apple
- Professional cyclists use electronic gear levers
- What are the political factors in the economy
- Which banking operations are separate from sales
- Is Perth more expensive than Auckland
- Can Christians get tattoos?
- Are electrons solid particles
- How do I read all Quora notifications
- What does personal productivity mean
- Can there be life on the moon
- How do international relations affect oil prices?
- What is TheApex Rush
- What is the best way to learn english