What do mentors do specifically for you
Why is mentoring so important?
A mentor is a person who has experience from his / her professional environment and with whom you can talk about various things:
- Management tasks
- Administrative tasks
- Positioning in the company
- Conflict resolution
- Strategy and vision
How does mentoring work?
During a certain period of time (usually 1 year) the mentee meets with the mentor and discusses with him / her current topics that concern the mentee. The range of topics is not restricted. The mentee should develop further as a person. Often there are also issues related to the demarcation of professional and private tasks that challenge new managers.
But a mentor is not a psychotherapist or psychologist! He / she can share his / her own experiences and opinions, but cannot give therapy.
How often you meet is up to the mentoring couple. But it works once a month. In between, an exchange can of course also take place by phone or email.
How does a mentor help?
Most mentors answer the mentee's questions openly about current topics and tasks. You can ask about experiences, best practices, stumbling blocks or missteps. You learn from the mentor's wealth of experience and can also work on things together. However, the mentor will never make decisions for the mentee. This responsibility remains with the mentee.
Some mentors also have advanced training, such as coaching or life and social counseling. This brings added value to one's own development, because through the conversation methods used as a mentee, one works much more strongly with one's own problem-solving skills than with the solutions that the mentor presents and may be considered given.
How do you choose a mentor?
A strong bond develops between mentor and mentee in the course of mentoring. Since the mentee asks his mentor for advice, a good mutual trust is also required. So it is important to get along well with others. An initial interview is therefore definitely important to get to know each other. Both the mentor and the mentee can also find out later that they are "not on the same wavelength" and end the mentoring.
Many wonder what experience the mentor should bring with him. Many would like the mentor to hold or have had the same position. Maybe even someone who has worked in the same industry. Often one wishes for someone who was faced with the same challenges or who had the same life decisions ahead of them at the time. Then you can draw on this wealth of experience. But mentoring is not a question of age! I met a lot of younger mentors who were able to bring in great experiences.
Many companies offer internal mentoring. This is particularly helpful when it comes to internal processes and networks.
An external mentor, on the other hand, has the advantage that he is not "operationally blind" and suggests new views and solutions. Often there are exciting new ways to be discovered here, which then bring a mentee a reputation in the company for original approaches.
As mentioned before, mentors with additional training in coaching offer strong added value.
How long does mentoring last?
As a rule, mentoring is scheduled for 6 months or 1 year. This gives you enough time to try things out and develop yourself. After that, the connection often remains amicable and you meet - not so often - for an exchange.
Do you want to try it out?
Call me! I offer you small to large mentoring packages. From getting to know each other through to the 1-year support package!
- What is F in an ANOVA table
- How do I open an IIS manager
- How do I write something extraordinary
- How do I get to Pushkar from Ajmer
- How can I concentrate fully on learning?
- Why are liquid lubricants used in engines
- Why do some people ignore tornado warnings
- How do I make good ideas
- Is it a disease to have a lot of pimples?
- Why do people need ceremonies
- What is the need for nuclear weapons
- How do you say human in Indonesian
- Which additional courses should BBM students take?
- What is the Latin word for smoke
- A marijuana brownie will blow you away
- Your weight loss was a disappointment
- How do you become an NFL referee
- What genre is Hadestown's music
- How will history judge the Trump administration
- How is the diploma CET ranking calculated
- What is the most useful mental model
- How does daydreaming work
- How can I submit ITR 1 online
- What causes a spider bite to bruise