What is complexity theory
Speaker: Prof. Carsten Lutz
K4, module area theory
Tue 17-19 MZH 7250
Thu 15-17 MZH 7250
Examination date: 9.9.2009. Please arrange specific dates by email.
Brief descriptionThe complexity theory deals with the inherent Computational problem complexity: how much time (or other resources) does it take to solve a given problem — regardless of how clever the algorithm you are using? So it's about the limits of predictability under limited resources. Complexity theory thus represents an important basis for the design and understanding of efficient algorithms. It also tries to satisfy the natural curiosity for what is feasible in principle in computer science. The lecture will deal with the following topics:
- Basic terms such as reductions, hardness and completeness
- The P vs. NP problem and its variations
- NP-complete problems from different branches of computer science
- Hierarchy theorems and related results
- Space complexity classes such as PSpace and LogSpace
- Circuit complexity and efficient parallelization
- The polynomial hierarchy
- Probabilistic complexity classes
- Oded Goldreich. Computational Complexity: a Conceptual Perspective. Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Sanjeev Arora, Boaz Barak. Computational Complexity: A Modern Approach. Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Christos H. Papadimitriou. Computational Complexity. Addison-Wesley, 1994.
- Ingo Wegener. Complexity Theory - Limits to the Efficiency of Algorithms. Springer, 2003.
- Michael Sipser. Introduction to the Theory of Computation (2nd Edition). Thomson Course Technology, 2006
Working group theory of artificial intelligence
- How are the relations between India and Palestine
- What is the signal to noise ratio in logic gates
- Kansas City is a Conservative Republican city
- Are piranhas invertebrates
- How do pharmaceutical companies work
- What is Mars US Oil
- How can I deal with paranoid schizophrenia
- What is the mailing address of the Quoras snail mail
- How can non-profit organizations use crowdsourcing
- How do entrepreneurs come up with brilliant ideas
- What is the country code for Ireland
- What is the full form of BDO
- How many people can speak Quenya Sindarin
- SalesForce will overtake SAP's market share
- Do men get Rett syndrome
- What is meant by an internal audit?
- Grand Theft Auto is a crime
- A pinched nerve can cause chest pain
- Is options trading safe?
- Why are Indian trains so shaky
- What are insurance companies
- What are embedded systems
- What is the stanza of a poem
- Does iGlass work with Google ARCore