What is the national language of Singapore
Language in Singapore
Language is an important cultural asset of every country. However, the language in Singapore is something very special. Due to the very long membership of the British Crown and due to the large number of immigrants, a language of its own has developed, which is commonly referred to as Singlish.
There are officially four official languages in Singapore. These languages are English, Chinese, Malay, and Tamil. The business language in Singapore is English and is spoken by almost all residents. Vacationers who speak English will find their way around Singapore very well. Alongside English, Chinese is the most widely spoken language in Singapore. Since most of the immigrants come from southern China, the rather indistinct and impure dialect Min Nan is unfortunately often spoken here. Reason enough for the city-state to launch a campaign calling on the population to speak standard Chinese. So the mandarin.
The Singlish mentioned in the introduction is a modification of English. Basically, this is already derived from the term. Complex sentence structures and grammar have been simplified. Verb conjugations are replaced by adverbs and some phrases from other languages, mainly Chinese, are simply added. Above all, the rather strange "lah" occurs very often. To get at least a small impression of the Singlish, here is a small example. More or less to smile about:
Singlish: “You wan‘ beer or not? No, lah drink five botol oreddi! In real English this should mean something like: “Do you want a beer? No, thanks, I have already drunk five bottles! ”Anyone who speaks English should understand what it means. However, this example makes it clear what is meant by “modification” of English and why the language is also called Singlish in Singapore.
Header image: © S-F Shutterstock.de
- How does PepperTap make money
- Where do the chickens at Boston Market come from?
- What is ISIS What are its goals
- Schindler's ruse was a true story
- Is Flipboard offline reader for iPhone users
- What kind of music is a kick
- Which stock brokers trade in crypto currencies
- Have you ever met Christopher Hitchens
- How can plan B pills fail
- Is there a gym in NIT Raipur
- What is FATF banking
- What are some good gang names
- What are some marine life
- What is the most expensive meat
- How is osteoporosis diagnosed by conventional radiography
- Why do people hate Hailee Steinfeld
- Why is concrete washed with acidic chemicals
- What does return mean in French
- Who started the war of 1812
- Is it true that the avocado is patented?
- How can I crack the Dakshana seat
- Can heal tarot
- What is parasitology
- What does death mean to me?