Should I get an 18g septum piercing
The first thing people say when they notice my septum piercing is, "Did it hurt?" Whether or not they want to do it themselves, their curiosity usually stems from compliments about how well the piercing suits me and my rose gold tire choice. So does it hurt? Yes. That is my short answer. But if you really want to know the truth, it hurts a lot - but only for two seconds.
Before going on 108 BK in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, I mistakenly told myself that I would not injure my nasal septum. Piercing the thin membrane just below the cartilage that separates the right and left noses would feel essentially like nothing. Lip injections or tattoos historically have barely made me wince. Why should a piercing?
Even when Piercer Adrian Castillo asked me repeatedly if I was nervous, I insisted I wasn't. “Not at all,” I said confidently, adding, “It is Not I will hurt “He didn't correct me. Instead, he joked that he was nervous and that it was his "first time" ever piercing someone's septum. (In reality, he pierced people's ears, noses, and nipples.) 11 years old.) Still, as any sane person does, when there is a sharp object near their face, I closed my eyes as Castillo passed his needle through my septum. It took about a second or two longer than you'd think.
For those who don't already know, this is the septum much thicker and stiffer than it feels. (Don't lie! If you've ever thought about getting your septum pierced, you've likely pinched it before.) The whole time, for the few seconds, the pain felt incredibly intense. On a pain scale from 1 to 10, my pierced septum deserves a hard four.
Fortunately, as soon as Castillo removed the needle, the pain resolved and was replaced by a dull ache. A single tear fell from my right eye.
Another part of the long answer that I forgot to mention is the pain that lasts for a solid week after the piercing. (It's also very itchy, but it's neither here nor there.) I didn't foresee that either. Once I get the septum pierced done you would think all the pain was over, right? Tattoos usually take two days to feel. The same does not apply to septum piercings. Like a bruise when I accidentally knocked on my septum while washing my face, putting on my makeup, or changing my clothes, I felt a dull ache. Septum piercings put the number of times you touch your nose into perspective.
Exactly a week after I pierced my septum, it's like none of this ever happened. My septum feels completely normal and painless. The only difference is that there is now a rose gold tire in it. (Sorry mom.)
If you're looking to buy a similar rose gold ribbon for your septum piercing, you can get exactly the same as mine for $ 65 right here. It comes in five different sizes, but they are all 20-gauge. This is the thinnest dimension for this type of hoop, and it will fit into an 18-gauge septum piercing, which is the smallest hole in diameter you can get. Some people get 16 or 14 gauge piercings for thicker jewelry. If you prefer petite things, like me, 18-gauge is the way to go.
More about piercings:
- Everything you need to know about nipple piercings (but were afraid to ask)
- 9 types of ear piercings to inspire your next look
- The most surprising piercing trends from the last 100 years
Now you can find out more about 100 years of piercing history:
Follow Devon Abelman on Twitter and Instagram.
- Why am I such a risk taker
- Why do people watch Koffee with Karan
- What is a polar covalent bond
- Is happiness a situation or a perspective
- What is your experience with AWS Aurora
- Why do you envy people
- What makes people addicted to tea
- Why did Jio discontinue their free service
- Which is better Vivo or OnePlus
- Where do small riflescopes come from?
- Think movie lovers are pared down
- What makes helicopter flights so expensive?
- What is Metasploit in Cybersecurity
- Is Scrum Master a Leader?
- How do I apply for CFA
- Why don't birds lay round eggs
- What kind of soprano is Alison Goldfrapp
- What is the old name of Vijayawada
- What is the grpck command on Linux
- How do different magic tricks work
- What is the full form of MTBF
- Compare men girlfriends
- Why is the President against the birthright?
- Which Windows programs use more RAM
- Also prefer to travel late into the night
- Why does a moose have antlers
- How do you produce a musical
- What happened in Budapest in 1830
- Can an Echo Dot be used alone
- Who is Tim Berners Lee
- When did people start using mirrors?
- How to make pumpkin bread
- Do men get Rett syndrome