In which country does the Arabic language spread?
Countries where Arabic is spoken
Origin and dialectsThe Arabic language comes from the Afro-Asian language family and has its origins in the Arabian Peninsula. The oldest written records date from the 5th to 4th centuries BC. Besides the pure native speakers, Arabic is spoken by over 400 million people as a second or foreign language. It is therefore one of the most widely spoken languages in the world. The Koran gave it a meaning that lasted around 1400 years and is used far beyond the borders of what was then Arabia.
Like most languages, Arabic is divided into different dialects. With the spread of Islam in the 7th and 8th centuries, numerous widely dispersed communities emerged, which in turn changed the language over time or allowed influences from formerly regional languages. Often the dialects differ only slightly in the written forms, but rather in the pronunciation. Persian, Aramaic and Greek, for example, had a great influence. In the last two centuries, many loanwords from English and French have also been added. Some of the dialects are similar to each other in writing, but their pronunciation is not understandable even for native speakers of Arabic. The geographical classification alone is based on over 2 dozen dialects.
Arabic script and alphabetThe Arabic script consists of 29 characters and consists only of consonants and long vowels. It is written from right to left. Similar to the Latin script, the Arabic script is a current script, i.e. a writing style in which the pen is seldom lifted and the letters are connected to one another. Due to this little interruption of the lines and the increasing number of letters over time, additional dots were added above and below the consonants from the 800 century AD in order to be able to better distinguish them from one another.
A peculiarity of the Arabic script goes back to the prohibition of images in Islam: Instead of depicting things artistically, they shifted to script and developed numerous calligraphy scripts. This is how the elegant inscriptions on religious buildings were created.
- How does a society with a high level of trust come about
- Why is there anything but pointless to indict Trump?
- How to calculate the precession of the earth
- How can I write Bharat in Sanskrit
- How is intellectual disability seen in Asia
- A free falling clock slows down
- Is Anbe Sivam a Christian fanatic
- Why did Ryan Reynolds leave DC
- How do I become a professional traveler
- Could gamma rays destroy the earth
- How can I become a credit broker
- Why is morality necessary when it comes to opinions
- Is better better than bad Why
- What was your experience working in retail
- Do you remember the books you read
- Is it difficult to learn meditation
- How do words become archaic?
- To which country do the Azores belong
- Chengdu has a good airport
- Will Lockheed ever build another airliner?
- What do Asian Americans think of DACA
- Which countries have artificial islands built?
- Which investments avoid double taxation
- Why did you blush today?