How does the Oregon Militia get food

Federal Army

The U.S. Army Personnel Statute

The US armed forces have been a professional army since 1972. They offer their soldiers a lot, on the one hand to meet the standards of a globally operating superpower and on the other hand to satisfy the needs of their soldiers in the social and societal sphere.

The US Army is the largest branch of the American armed forces. Specifically, the US Congress approved the following strengths of the respective Active, Reserve and National Guard components of the armed forces for 2006.

Always operating to the highest technical and material standards, the United States of America is undoubtedly the most powerful armed force in the world. But behind every number there are people with expectations and needs. How does the US Army manage to meet these needs? What does it have to offer its soldiers, and what is the position of the individual in the overall system? These are simple questions in themselves, but when answered due to the diversity of the armed forces and specialist sectors, they reach a high degree of complexity.

For a better understanding and for the purpose of comparison, only the salary structures and the legal issues of the US Army as a branch of the US armed forces are presented in this article. Reference can therefore only be made here to key questions and to the answers necessary for a comparison with the Austrian Armed Forces. (Personnel statute: all legal norms and provisions that determine the personnel status of a person.)

Entry into the Army - start of employment

The US armed forces have been a professional army since 1972. The staff is provided by five recruiting brigades, subdivided into 41 recruiting battalions. There are also recruitment offices in Europe, Korea, Japan, Guam and Samoa.

Groups of people in the armed forces There are three different groups of people in the Army:

- Military personnel (enlisted soldiers and non-commissioned officers) from private to sergeant major; - Warrant Officers from Warrant Officer 1 to Chief Warrant Officer 5; - Commissioned officers from second lieutenant to army general.

The US armed forces do not have their own General Staff Service, as the Austrian Armed Forces know it. There is a Command and General Staff College in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. This also holds a ten-month "Command and General Staff Officers Course" - to which one is assigned. However, the term "general staff" is understood to mean "general staff training". The command of the entire armed forces is carried out by the American general staff, the so-called "Joint Chief of Staff".

Military Persons - Enlisted Soldiers and Non Commissioned Officers

In order to become a military person, the following requirements are required:

- US citizenship or permanent residence permit as a foreigner; - ages between 17 and 34 years old (17 to 39 in reserve); - full health and good physical constitution; - first-class reputation (in good moral standing).

After recruitment, each volunteer must take a medical and mental test at a Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS). Then the actual admission takes place as part of a career interview, which always extends over a total commitment period of eight years. This does not automatically mean an active service period of eight years, but that with a service commitment of four years, four more years must be served in the Army Reserve. During this time, the Army can reactivate anyone due to staff shortages, current trouble spots or wars. In addition, the Army can "compulsorily oblige" anyone who has fulfilled their contract or is about to retire in a conflict situation for another year with the "Stop Loss" program - as happened in the First Gulf War (1990) and for certain special functions or special units in Iraq and Afghanistan.

All branches of the armed forces have contract periods of different lengths. In the Army, that's two, three, four, five, and six years of active service. Two and three years are only possible to a very limited extent under the "National Call To Service" plan. The generally accepted commitment period starts at four years.

Commitment incentives are used to recruit highly difficult-to-find skilled personnel. The Army is offering a bonus of up to $ 20,000 (approx. € 16,400) for this function. College graduates can be enlisted up to the entry level Corporal (E-4) (Advanced Enlistment Rank). Common to all branches of the armed forces is the so-called "Buddy Program", which enables two or more people of the same sex to complete their training and their first assignment together.

Warrant Officers

Specialized officers are highly specialized experts such as B. IT professionals, helicopter pilots and technicians.

In order to become a specialist officer, one must apply to a specialist officer school or for admission to the aviation training program. The requirements to become a specialist officer are:

- High school graduation; - ages between 18 and 29 years; - US citizenship; - 90 or more points on the airworthiness test; - at least 110 points in a technical intelligence test; - Reaching Army height and weight standards; - Successful body test at a military reception station and fulfillment of medical fitness standards.

The term warrant officer is not to be confused with the British warrant officer, which is a pure sergeant major. There is no comparable equivalent in NATO for this rank.

Officers - Commissioned Officers

There are four ways to become an officer in the U.S. Army:

The Reserve Officer's Training Corps-ROTC: As part of the Reserve Officer Training Corps, college students can take the leadership elective and are trained in military courses. When they join the Army, they are authorized to lead soldiers. The incentive is to collect semester hours on the one hand and to receive a scholarship of up to $ 60,000 (€ 49,200) on the other.

Requirements are:

- Student at a college or university where this training is offered; - US citizenship; - physical fitness.

The Officer Candidate School (OCS): After the basic combat training, the candidates complete a 14-week intensive training course in order to be admitted to the officers' basic course. The requirements for completing an officer candidate school are:

- ages between 18 and 30 years; - US citizenship; - Completion of at least four years of college education, 90 semester hours per week are required for the reserve; - full health and good physical constitution; - first-class reputation (in good moral standing); The United States Military Academy at West Point: The requirements to be able to study at the military academy are:

- ages between 17 and 23 years; - US citizenship; - not married; - not pregnant and with no maintenance obligation for children; - Above average high school or college degree; - a congressionally nominated or have a service-connected nomination; - Achieving a high score on a college entrance exam.

Direct Commissioned Officers: Each industry, such as lawyers (Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps-JAG Corps), pastoral workers (Army Chaplain Corps) and doctors (Army Medical Corps) has its own officer training program. The training time as well as the training content vary depending on the subject.

Ranks and promotion

Up to the rank of Corporal (E-4), Chief Warrant Officer 2 (CW-2) and Captain (O-3), American soldiers are promoted almost "automatically" according to the criteria of total service time and minimum length of stay in the previous rank. Thereafter, competing competitive procedures within the respective armed forces or specialist branch (e.g. Judge Advocate General’s Corps) are applied.

The starting point is always the number of strengths specified by the congress per year as a percentage for each rank.

Transportation of military personnel

The decision to promote military personnel up to the rank of corporal (E-4) "decentralized" lies with the respective commanding officer. Since there are no numerical restrictions, this means in practice that everyone who does their job properly will actually be promoted.

A "semi-central" procedure is used for the Sergeant (E-5) and Staff Sergeant (E-6) ranks. This means that the unit still has some role to play, but the Army decides who is promoted. However, there is also the option of being promoted earlier in a second procedure, in the "secondary zone". The decisive factor here is the achievement of transport points (administrative points). These points are made up of:

- the official conduct (max. 150 points, assessed by the company commander); - Awards and medals (maximum 100 points); - military training (maximum 200 points for courses); - civil education (maximum 100 points for college courses, etc); - military training (maximum 100 points, summarized from the fitness test and the shooting results).

The next step is the assessment by the Promotion Board. A promotion committee must always be headed by at least one Lieutenant Colonel (LTC, O-5). If the company commander of the person to be promoted is a lieutenant colonel, the promotion commission is formed within the company; if not, it is formed within the battalion. The commission consists of at least three members, and the gender of the person to be assessed must also be shown. The soldier in question then has to submit to a questionnaire by the commission and is assessed with a corresponding number of points (max. 150 points). The committee then decides whether or not to propose the candidate for promotion. If approved, the administration points and the points awarded by the promotion committee are added and the military person is placed on the promotion list. However, since only a certain percentage can be promoted within the respective armed forces or branch, the number of points is decisive.

Promotions from Sergeant First Class (E-7) are centralized by the Army Personnel Headquarters. The central promotion committee consists of at least five members, with the chairman having to be general.

The centralized procedure is an exclusively written procedure that is carried out on the basis of the present transport file. If the commission has selected the number of years assigned to them to be promoted, a ranking is carried out according to the longest length of stay in the previous rank. The promotions take place monthly, in accordance with the order. The commission will meet again after a year.

On average, every military person can therefore expect to be promoted according to the statistics shown in the table on page 320.

Promotion of the Warrant Officer

Promotion to Chief Warrant Officer 2 (CW-2) is carried out by the battalion commander at the suggestion of the company commander. As of CW-3, there is a centralized procedure through a promotion committee. One percent of all aspirants can also be promoted to the CW-4 and CW-5 before the "Below-the-Zone" time.

Promotion of officers

There are basically three variants for the promotion of officers:

- ahead of time (below-the-zone); - in time (In-the-Zone); - according to the time (above-the-zone).

Most officers are promoted "in time". Only the ranks major (O-4), Lieutenant Colonel (O-5) and Colonel (O-6), and of these only ten percent, can advance "ahead of time", specifically one year before they are due for promotion. Officers who have not been promoted "in time" have an additional opportunity to be promoted "according to time" one year later. However, this chance only exists for about three percent. If someone has not been promoted "after the time", there are only two options, depending on the maximum length of service in the respective rank: either to leave the Army or to retire if the eligibility requirements are met.

The proposal for promotion is always made by the respective commander to a centralized promotion commission. Similar to the military personnel, they check the promotion files available and make their decision, whereby 80 percent of the officers competing in a branch of the armed forces or specialist branch are promoted to major, 70 percent to lieutenant colonel and only 50 percent to colonel. As with military personnel, promotions are carried out monthly according to a specific sequence.

Promotion to the general ranks

For promotion to "Flag Officer", Brigadier General (BG, O-7), Major General (MG, O-8), Lieutenant General (LTG, O-9) or General (GEN, O-10), it is required a nomination by the American President and confirmation by the Senate. Each branch or branch of the armed forces has its own commissions that propose suitable officers to the president. As with the officers, the number of generals is limited by the Congress. Currently, the Army is assigned 150 BG (O-7), 99 MG (O-8), 43 LTG (O-9) and 9 GEN (O-10). As of September 2004, these 301 generals correspond to 0.46 percent of the total 64,502 officers. The mandatory retirement age for all generals is 62 years of age (exceptions can be granted in individual cases). However, if a BG (O-7) has not been promoted to MG (O-8) within five years, or if he has a total service period of 30 years, he or she will be retired, whichever comes later. The same applies to the MG (O-8), which was also not promoted to LTG (O-9) within five years. The alternative action variant, however, is based on 35 years of total service.

Maximum length of service

In the US Army, there is a service time limit (High Year of Tenures-HYT) for every military person's rank. After this time limit, there are only two options: either to leave the army or to retire if the eligibility requirements have been met. Severance payments will be made for periods of service of more than six years and less than 20 years and an involuntary but honorable resignation.

Uses and displacements

After completing the basic and specialist training, the transfer to the place of first use takes place. This can match the personal wishes of the individual, but does not have to be. The business necessity always decides. A subsequent assignment overseas (Outside Continental United States-OCONUS) can be applied for after one year of service in the United States, a transfer within the USA (Continental United States-CONUS) after two years of initial employment. The duration of overseas use depends on the location. Europe and Japan are standard tours, lasting two years for singles and three years for soldiers with family members.

Remote assignments (e.g. in Korea) always last a year, whereby taking the family with you is not paid for and in many cases is not allowed. However, family relocation to anywhere in the United States will be paid for during this time. After a remote use, the choice of subsequent use is given priority over those returning from a standard tour. This follow-on assignment can be fixed before the tour begins. In this case, the relocation costs for the family to another place and then to the new place of employment are not paid, but only to the place of the new use.

In addition, you can also opt for an extended tour, i. H. for an additional year to the standard tour. The volunteer registration for an extended tour always takes place before the standard tour, so that transport and relocation costs can be saved. If there are no volunteer registrations for a specific specialist function, overseas assignments will also be ordered. The soldier with the longest return date from his last overseas assignment will be posted. If there are family hardship cases that are particularly worthy of consideration, such as B. Illness or death that can be resolved within a year can be applied for an emergency assignment (hardship assignment). In the event of problems that are not resolved within a year, an early discharge will be assessed (hardship discharge).

Military persons married to one another can also apply for a joint use (Joint Spouse Assignment).A shared service is considered to be given if the two service locations are not more than 161 kilometers (100 miles) apart.

Within the USA (CONUS), transfers are rarely approved. On the other hand, for cost reasons, since no relocation costs are refunded, exchange transfers (permissive reassignments) are approved. The prerequisite for this is the same function, the same rank and an initial employment of two years within the USA. After receiving a marching order, the transport and relocation will be organized by the local Traffic Management Office (TMO). A contract freight forwarder and the packing staff are provided. For personal relocation, either a plane ticket or an amount of 15 cents per mile, with 350 miles per day being considered reasonable, is paid for. A daily fee is due for each day of travel, half of which is also due to family members.

In the operational areas, as currently in Iraq, Afghanistan or Bosnia, the soldiers are not "assigned" but "deployed". The difference between an assignment and a deployment is that after a use there is always a different use in a different location, while after a deployment you always return to the same use and unit. Another difference is the average duration of use of six or 12 months.

Pay and privileges

Professional soldiers and activated reservists receive a so-called base pay, which can be paid out either as a single payment on the 1st or in two payments on the 1st and 15th of the month. There is no compensation for additional services. The amount of the basic monthly salary depends on the grade and length of service. The following amounts already include the salary increase of 3.5 percent for 2005.

Drill fee

In the reserve you receive the so-called drill pay. This is paid out for hours of service. The amount in turn depends on the length of service and the rank. The annual fee for a weekend per month and a two-week exercise (see table on p. 326, top right).

Allowances and grants

There are a large number of allowances and grants that are paid for special functions and according to the respective risk classification of the job. Only the most important grants that apply to all soldiers are explained below. All grants are not subject to income tax.

In principle, the soldiers have to live within a military base, where they are provided with accommodation and food free of charge. However, if a military person is married or has maintenance obligations for relatives living in the same household, permission to live outside the military base is granted. Officers can always live outside. Housing and subsistence allowances are granted to cover these living costs.

Subsistence allowance (BAS): The standard subsistence allowance is $ 254.46 (€ 208.65) per month for military personnel and $ 175.23 (€ 143.68) per month for officers. Soldiers who receive a subsistence allowance have to pay for their subsistence participation in the camp. The current rates are $ 1.70 (€ 1.30) for breakfast, $ 3.30 (€ 2.70) for lunch and $ 3.30 (€ 2.70) for dinner. The total daily meal rate is thus $ 8.30 (€ 6.80).

Housing allowance (Basic Allowance for Housing - BAH): Soldiers who live outside the military base receive a housing allowance. The amount depends on the rank, the marital status and the number of relatives as well as the local price level of the place of residence.

Single military personnel are only allowed to live outside the military base when 95 percent of all quarters on a base are occupied.

Members of the Reserve and National Guard are also entitled to a reduced housing allowance (BAH II) for each day if they do less than 140 days of active service. From 140 days of active service, the full housing cost allowance is due.

Basic Allowance for Housing, differental: Unmarried soldiers who live in the military base but are dependent on children are entitled to a difference in housing allowance in the amount of $ 83.10 to $ 249.90 (€ 68.14 to € 204.19) depending on the respective rank and the Salary grade.

Clothing Allowance: The clothing allowance is used to renew and maintain the uniform and badge. Military personnel only receive an annual amount of $ 460.80 (€ 377.85). Officers receive a one-time payment of $ 400 (€ 328).

Cost of Living Allowance-COLA: When relocating to locations with higher living costs and higher price levels abroad (within the USA only exceptions are permitted), a living expenses allowance is paid, the amount of which depends on the respective country.

Family Separation Allowance-FSA: A separation allowance of $ 250.00 (€ 205.00) per month is paid for separation from the family (unmarried persons with a joint household and maintenance obligations are also eligible).

Special features in use

Mission allowances (Imminent Danger Pay or "Combat Pay"): A stake bonus of $ 225.00 (€ 184.00) is paid during use. With the claim to Combat Pay you are automatically exempt from income tax.

Hardship Duty Pay: In the case of particularly difficult conditions, a hardship allowance is paid in certain areas of operation. For example, this amounts to $ 100.00 (€ 82.00) for Iraq or Afghanistan, while nothing is paid for Bosnia.

Savings plan (Special Savings Account): All soldiers stationed in a combat zone are given the opportunity to deposit $ 10,000 (€ 8,200) per year into a special savings account, where they are guaranteed an annual interest rate of ten percent.

At first glance, the compensations such as deployment and hardship allowances, which are also paid for the deployment, do not appear very high. The general tax exemption and the possibility of participating in a savings plan with annual ten percent guaranteed interest, however, are the far greater benefits of the mission.


In addition to the base salary or drill pay, there are many opportunities to receive financial rewards, both in active service and in reserve. Examples are:

- Selection of a special use; - completion of special training; - completion of additional tasks etc.

The amount of the amount varies permanently.

Military supermarkets and department stores (Commissaries and Exchanges)

Every military base also has supermarkets and department stores operated by the military (Defense Commissary Agency-DeCA; Army and Air Force Exchange Service-AAFES; Navy Exchange Service-NEXCOM; Marine Corps Exchange). They sell their goods with a maximum surcharge of five percent on the purchase price. According to the DeCA, there is a potential savings of approx. 25 percent compared to shopping in the free trade!

Troop Care and Recreation (Morale Welfare and Recreation - MWR)

Various facilities are available for recreation and for the consumption of food and drinks, but also for private events.

There are special kindergartens (Child Development Centers) for childcare, which are open late into the night. The supervision fee is currently $ 0.50 (€ 0.41) for one hour.

For teenagers, d. H. A Youth Center is available for children between the ages of six and 17. The monthly fee ranges between $ 5 (€ 4.10) and $ 15 (€ 12.30).

Sports halls are located in all military bases for practicing sports. Extensive libraries are available free of charge to those interested in reading.

DIY enthusiasts such. B. mechanics, carpenters, etc., can use the hobby workshops (hobby shops) for repair or hobby work for a small fee.

Educational contributions

The American soldiers consider the most important advantage to be the possibility of paying for training and further education as well as paying off an existing student loan. These training programs are available to both active and soldiers in the reserve.

"Montgomery GI Bill-MGIB & Army College Fund - ACF": Depending on how long a soldier has been committed, he or she can receive up to $ 50,000 (€ 41,000) in college grants. In order to be able to take advantage of this service, however, one must pay $ 100.00 (€ 82.00) per month in the first year of the service obligation. Reserve soldiers can claim an amount of up to $ 22,000 (€ 18,040).

MGIB "kicker": The army reserve repeatedly needs certain functions in certain locations. If someone is qualified and decides to use it in this way, then they can - with full-day school attendance - a so-called "kicker" in the amount of $ 100, - (€ 82, -), $ 200, - (€ 164, - ) or $ 300, - (€ 246, -) per month. The exact amount varies according to function and location.

Reserve Officers ’Training Corps Scholarship (ROTC): Students at more than 700 colleges have the opportunity to take an Army ROTC Military Science and Leadership course. Any college student, or whoever is to become one, can apply for a tuition grant of up to $ 17,000 per year. In addition, generous grants are given for the purchase of books.

College Loan Repayment Program: Active soldiers with a commitment period of three years receive up to $ 65,000.00 (€ 53,000.00) and reserve soldiers with a commitment period of six years up to $ 20,000.00 (€ 16,400.00) of their college Training costs paid as an incentive to commit.

Further training within the army

Concurrent Admissions Program - ConAP: The Army has partnerships with over 1,600 colleges and universities that a soldier can attend during or after an active period.

eArmyU: Take Classes Online: College courses are offered online. The army pays for the computer.

Health care and vacation

All active soldiers and their family members are entitled to medical and dental treatment, which is either completely free or at a low cost. The military hospitals and clinics of the nearest military base are open to them for this purpose. Reserve or National Guard members are eligible for free medical care if they have been activated for more than 30 days.

Active soldiers are entitled to 30 days of vacation per year. The weekends and holidays are off-duty.

Life insurance

All soldiers in the active status as well as activated soldiers in the reserve are automatically insured for the amount of $ 250,000 (€ 205,000) under the "Servicemember’s Group Life Insurance" program. There is also the option of private life insurance for $ 600,000 (€ 492,000) from the Army and Air Force Mutual Aid Association (AAFMAA) for a monthly price of $ 27.00 (€ 22.14) to complete every operational area and every function.

Military jurisdiction

The American armed forces are subject to separate military jurisdiction. The execution takes place according to the "Uniform Code of Military Justice - UCMJ". The UCMJ is applicable to all soldiers in active service, in the reserve and also in retirement. The army, prisoners of war and, under certain circumstances, civilians are also recorded. Execution is carried out in the Army, Navy and Air Force by the JAG Corps and in the Marines by a "Staff Judge Advocate".

There are three types of court martials:

The Summary Court-Martial (SCM): An SCM is only used for military personnel. The court consists of a military attorney from JAG’s Corps. No defense counsel is provided for the accused. The range of punishment is very limited.

The Special Court Martial (SPCM): An SPCM is already responsible for all persons falling under the scope of the UCMJ. The court consists of a military judge and three members; Prosecutor is a military lawyer; a defense attorney is provided free of charge to the accused The process can be run as a "Bad Conduct Discharge" (BCD) or a "Non BCD" process. Prison sentences of up to six months, wage cuts by two thirds for six months, and demotions can be pronounced.

The General Court-Martial (GCM): A GCM is the strictest stage of a military trial and consists of a military judge, a defense attorney, a prosecutor, and at least five members. A military attorney is provided free of charge to the accused. Any punishment, including the death penalty, can be imposed.

According to the UCMJ, minor offenses are to be honored through disciplinary measures "nonjudicial punishment". Lesser offenses are offenses that would be convicted at the GCM with no more than one year imprisonment or a dishonorable release. The immediate superior decides on disciplinary measures. The extent of the sentence depends on the rank of the accused and the commanding officer with disciplinary authority. A dishonorable layoff can also negatively affect those looking for a civilian job.

Right of co-determination

Trade unions or employee representation are prohibited by law. A complaint can be made to the Inspector General (IG) of the respective military base in the event of an injustice.


An American soldier can retire after twenty years of service - after thirty years he is ex officio retired. While in 1950 there were 100 active soldiers compared to nine retired soldiers, in 2003 there were already 130 retired soldiers for every 100 active soldiers.

The military retirement payment is not seen as a pension or annual annuity in the traditional sense, but as reduced compensation for reduced services. It is calculated either according to the length of service or, in the case of disability, according to this. When calculating according to the length of service, three different calculation systems are currently used, graduated to the respective starting day of the individual. A distinction is made between soldiers starting their service before September 8, 1980, between September 8, 1980 and July 31, 1986, and all others after August 1, 1986.

In the first variant, the actual retirement payment is calculated by multiplying the years of service by 2.5 and multiplying this number as a percentage by the last monthly salary.

In variant two (all soldiers starting September 8th - July 31st 1986) the calculation is based on an average of the last three years.

In variant three, the average of the last three years is also used as the basis for calculation, only 1 percent is deducted for each year of less than 30 years of service. However, variant three is only used as an option to variant two, in that the beneficiary in the 15th year of service has to decide whether to choose variant three with a claim bonus of $ 30,000.00 (€ 24,600.00) or with variant two remains. The restricted retirement payment then ends at the age of 62, after which the full percentages apply again.

In addition to the retirement payment, there is also an annual living expenses allowance (COLA) that covers consumer price increases within one year.

Disability Retirement: With a disability rate of more than 30 percent, a permanent or temporary retirement transfer can be made for less than 20 years of total service. In the case of a temporary retirement, a definitive decision must be made within five years.

Veterans Administration [VA] Disability Compensation: In the event of a disability that is causally related to active service, you can apply for disability compensation.

Combat-Related Special Compensation - CRSC: For all illnesses or injuries that can be traced back to an assignment with an established degree of disability of more than 10 percent, an assignment compensation can be awarded from the age of 60.


When retiring, each soldier also receives:

- a solemn farewell (if desired); - a deed of retirement; - a certificate of appreciation from the President (for 20 years of service); - a letter of appreciation from the President (for 30 years of service or special achievement); - a certificate of thanks to the spouse (if desired); - a retirement pin; - an American flag.

The "Army Career and Alumni Program" (ACAP), which ensures individual advice and the search for a job, is used to facilitate the transition to civilian life.

taxes and expenses

The base salary, rewards and other cash payments are subject to taxation by the state as a whole as well as the individual state according to the tax rates applicable there. Allowances and grants are always tax-free. In the states of Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming, there is generally no income tax. In the states of Alabama, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Oregon, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, only military retirement payments are exempt from income tax. There is no tax liability in the context of an assignment.

The social security and health tax in the amount of 7.65 percent of the base salary is withheld by both the employee and the employer.

Summary, conclusions

The personnel status of the American soldiers is characterized by the division into three groups of people: military personnel (enlisted), specialist officers (warrant officers) and officers (officers). Common to all branches of the armed forces is the same pay and privilege system. There are differences in the promotion and in the maximum length of service.

The main differences to the legal status of Austrian soldiers are presented below.

- The personnel status of the American soldiers is regulated in an independent service, salary and pension law. Austrian soldiers are subject to the regulations of the public service.

- Employee representation is prohibited by law.

- The privileges such as free living and eating in the military base, own supermarkets and department stores, child and youth care, free use of hospitals and hospitals, etc., are numerous.

- In addition to the salary, there are extensive allowances and grants to cover the cost of living outside the military base and for transfers.

- Transfers and assignments abroad are a permanent part of the service. Mobility and flexibility are fundamentally required, since the assignments and uses are ordered.

- The performance-based promotion system is linked to maximum service time limits. If the performance limit is not reached, the Army must be left.

- Life insurance is taken out by the employer for all soldiers. However, each soldier still has the option of being additionally insured for a very small amount in each operational area.

- US soldiers are subject to their own military jurisdiction.

- Income taxes are low and vary by state. There is a complete income tax exemption in action.

- From 20 years of service there is the possibility to retire.

___________________________________ ___________________________________ Author: Lieutenant Colonel dIntD Mag. Iur. Siegfried Dohr, born in 1964; 1984 One year old volunteer (infantry); 1985 to 1988 Theresian Military Academy; 1988 to 2000 platoon commander, training officer, company commander - training company and staff company, staff functions (WiO, S 1 and S 5) in the Landwehr Trunk Regiment, Jägerregiment and in the supply regiment; 2000 to 2002 employed in the Corps Command I staff, since December 1, 2002 legal advisor in the International Operations Command; 2002 to 2003 14th directorship course and legal advisor course I and II; 1997 to 2001 part-time law studies at the Karl-Franzens University in Graz; Foreign assignments 1999 company commander at AUSLOG / SFOR, 2004 legal advisor at HQ / SFOR.