What goes well with muffins
Juicy, fluffy muffins are always popular. American mini cakes are guaranteed to be a success with our muffin base dough and lots of tips!
Table of Contents
Looking for a simple basic muffin recipe? With the basic dough for muffins, which I present to you in this post, you always have the perfect basis for delicious small pastries. Regardless of whether it should be chocolate or berry muffins, nutty or fruity: this batter always fits! And to ensure that baking is also successful, I will give you valuable tips for really juicy muffins and suggestions on how you can change your dough over and over again.
The perfect muffin batter
The nice thing about muffins: The all-rounders are suitable for every taste. Small, handy, ideally suited to take away, for children's birthdays, parties, buffets or picnics. In our muffin recipes section you will find many great recipes - from cheesecake muffins to blueberry muffins to spicy vegetable muffins. Some are made with oil, others with butter, some luscious, others high in protein or low carb. Unlike these special creations, the muffin base dough in this article is an absolute basic recipe.
Muffins or cupcakes
Even if the terms are often used synonymously, muffins are completely different from cupcakes. While the latter are always decorated with frosting or otherwise lavishly decorated, muffins are usually enjoyed "pure". At most with a little powdered sugar or chocolate icing or a glaze. The most important difference, however, lies in the batter: Cupcakes consist of a classic batter with soft butter, which is whipped with sugar and eggs until frothy. For a real muffin batter, dry and wet ingredients are mixed separately and then only stirred for a very short time.
The most important muffin ingredients
The classic main ingredients are flour (white flour or whole grain), sugar (brown or white) or an alternative sweetener such as xylitol, fat in the form of oil or butter, eggs, dairy products and raising agents. Muffins are always baked with baking powder and / or baking soda. The latter, in conjunction with a (sour) milk product such as buttermilk, yoghurt or sour cream, ensures that the muffins are juicy and airy. It doesn't matter whether you make my basic muffins recipe with oil or rather liquid butter. If you want to bake muffins without an egg, you can replace them with applesauce or banana sauce. You can find tips for replacing ingredients in our ingredient exchange platform.
The right preparation
In contrast to batter or kneading dough, the ingredients are not mixed step by step or all at once, but in two stages. You will need two bowls: one for the dry ingredients, one for the wet or liquid ingredients. After you have mixed the dry ingredients well and whisked the moist together, the two come together. Please stir now only briefly but vigorously. Either with a dough scraper, a wooden spoon or a hand mixer.
You can find this and all other recipes in our APP
Possible muffin variations
You can make the basic recipe super chocolatey - by stirring in baking cocoa and chocolate shavings, chocolate drops or cocoa nibs, for example. Fruity variants with berries, chopped apples, pears or plums also taste good. If you like it hearty, you can fold in chopped nuts or almond sticks. Suitable spices include cinnamon, vanilla, tonka bean and lemon zest.
Tips for making muffins
After mixing the ingredients, the muffin batter should be processed or baked immediately. It is therefore important that the oven is heated up in good time.
The right muffin pan
Fill the molds only about two-thirds full with dough! Whether you use silicone molds, paper molds or a muffin tin is ultimately a matter of taste. Personally, I mainly use silicone muffin cases when I want to loosen the muffins before serving, that is, when I want to present them “pure”. Or if the dough is rather damp and would stick to the paper. There are also silicone molds in heart or star shape. (Beautiful) paper cases are good for birthdays or picnics. Regardless of the material: I also always put the shapes on a muffin tin. Even before filling. This way they keep their stability and open well.
Save and freeze muffins
Sure, they taste best fresh. But most muffins can be kept for 2 days - if they are airtight and stored in a cool place. But please not in the fridge! Particularly practical: freezing muffins. I actually always do. To thaw, simply let it stand at room temperature. If you like, you can bake it again briefly in the oven. Frosting or glaze, however, should not be frozen at the same time.
If you follow the steps in the basic muffins recipe exactly, you shouldn't have any problems. Nevertheless, here are a few tips on the most common mistakes when baking muffins.
Typical muffin problems
The muffins won't rise
This may be because there was not enough baking powder and / or baking soda in the dough. To work properly, baking soda always needs another sour ingredient such as buttermilk, yoghurt, lemon juice or sour cream.
The muffins are collapsing
If the muffin batter is too runny, the cakes may collapse in the middle. Better to stir in an additional tablespoon of flour. In addition, the muffins must not be taken out of the oven too early. You can tell whether they are baked through with the help of the chopsticks sample.
The muffins won't be juicy
If the muffins are dry and hard instead of juicy and airy, you may have mixed the ingredients too long and vigorously. This can also be the reason why muffins get tough. Maybe the baking time was too long.
The muffins stick to the molds
This is often due to the ingredients. Juicy fruit or berries like to stick to the edge. Then it is better to use silicone molds. Doughs with too little fat also often stick - for example, if you only use fruit puree and yoghurt instead of eggs and butter. Regardless of this: Muffins can usually only be loosened after they have cooled down.,
The muffins don't look nice
With paper cases, the dough often runs wide; the muffins will be too flat and dry. The solution: Always place paper liners on a muffin tray as well. Another problem: the muffin batter overflows and the finished muffins look more like giant mushrooms than nice round cakes. You can avoid this by only filling the molds about two-thirds with dough.
You can find a wide variety of sure-fire muffin recipes under this link. The following basic muffin recipe for 12 pieces, the standard number for a muffin tin, can be modified as you wish. Have fun baking!
Note: I published this post for the first time in 2017 and last updated it in 2020.
Basic recipe for muffins
- 260 grams of wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 120 grams of sugar white, brown or a mix
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 100 milliliters of oil or 130g of liquid butter
- 220 grams of yoghurt as an alternative to buttermilk or sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees top and bottom heat. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. In a second bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients: eggs, oil or liquid butter, yoghurt or buttermilk.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones. Mix everything together briefly (!) But vigorously.
- Refine the dough as you like (see tips). Use a spoon to fill paper or silicone molds (about two-thirds); It is best to also place them on a muffin tin. Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes, depending on their size.
- Fold in chocolate chips, chocolate shavings or cocoa nibs
- Fold in the raisins or finely chopped dried fruit
- Stir in the baking cocoa
- Stir in lemon zest, orange zest, cinnamon, vanilla or similar
- Fold in coconut flakes or chopped nuts or almonds
- Carefully fold in fresh blueberries, raspberries, apple pieces or the like
Note: This article contains affiliate links (what does that mean?).
- How is measurement defined in quantum physics?
- Which wood is best for staining
- How does Adderall affect meditation
- Who Checks YouTube Videos For Strikes
- Surface book is good for deep learning
- How do I download FDM
- How common are audio games
- Uses computer vision machine learning
- How often should an aircraft be serviced?
- Cycling can cause nerve damage
- Why does Nadal have a weak serve
- What is SEO SEM SMM SMO
- Who is Batman's greatest enemy
- Desktops are here for the future
- How do composite and cinch cables differ?
- The identification of people serves a positive purpose
- Why do people like to use Craigslist
- How many functions can be made
- Is the bilingual language parallel or not
- What should I know about game testing
- People with BPD go to therapy
- How does a refrigerator work
- Would you date an obese girl
- What does marhaba mean