How has the internet changed activism?
On a first level, the Internet is purely a means of communication. In contrast to traditional mass media (television, radio, newspaper) or previous individual carrier media such as print products or audiovisual formats (CDs, VHS), communication via the Internet is now associated with low costs and effort. In addition, it offers an increased public and a decentralized structure for the communication of individual goals and means of protest. A logical consequence of this is that the Internet is seen as a communication tool for reporting that differs from the official one: Alternative media such as news forums and independent media centers (e.g. indymedia.org) offer a view of current events that is independent of the established media.
Furthermore, today's Internet or "Web 2.0" has allowed the simplified generation of content since approx. 2000 (user generated content) and a relatively hierarchy-free, feedback-oriented form of communication between users. This results in new formats of internet-based platforms, which are called Social networking sites focus on connections between the communication participants. The protest movements therefore also fall back on the advantages of the Internet space as a social milieu. They advertise their political goals as well as new participants and activists through targeted communication and their rapid dissemination by individual users. The rapid mobilization of the masses on the Internet is particularly effective with the DdoS (Distributed Denial of Service) Attacks that the collective Anonymous undertakes to demonstrate against corporations and governments.
- What does it mean to make a clumsy bow?
- Software engineering has a bright future
- What are some common scams in Damascus
- Your friendliness is mistaken for weakness
- Why am I always right in everything?
- How do I hitchhike in California
- Who is the best player of 2018
- Top 5 Augmented Reality Companies in India
- Who is Bing Crosby
- Mountain View CA is a rich city
- What makes Jamaica dangerous? Why
- Why is the turning of the earth important
- What does Insmod do on Linux
- How do I download FDM
- Make independent energy yourself
- Which process uses oxygen directly
- Why are multiple reviews important
- Can water bite you
- What are the main rules of leadership
- What makes teenagers tingly today?
- What is the purpose of the invention
- How can I ask people interesting questions
- Are the Illuminati and Tavistock the same
- What is polymer clay made of